Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Technology Sucks (According to My Mom)

My mom lost her cell phone earlier today. Trying to explain technology to her gets both of us upset and quite frustrated. She acts like I don't know what I am saying and I get upset and mad because she doesn't understand it. I know she believes me, but she reacts to the situation. She later appologized to me, so all is good.

The phone is in their house somewhere because there has been no activity on it. I'd like to think that if someone found the phone, they would turn it in, but I know what people really do. If someone did turn in the phone, I appologize, for what I said. But all of us know what does happen. That is reality. The phone company still suspended her phone until we can get her a new SIM card for the last phone I had. She still had a 1,001 questions about it.

We went down to the local T-Mobile store, I got her a another SIM card, and they were gracious and called customer service and activated that SIM card, so now she has a phone again. She needs the basic phone, one where she can text and make phone calls, but they don't make phones like that anymore. So she needs to learn to live with technology and learn to grow with it.

Computers and anything with the computer scares her. She is so afraid, I have spent hours and hours at their house working through the issues with her. I don't mind it, I love being able to work on computers. She has got so many viruses and bugs and everything, that I basically shut her out of her computer and made it so she couldn't download anything to her computer. This last time, even I had a hard time getting everything off so I had to to take it someplace and have another buddy take care of it, because it was that infected, I couldn't do nothing with it. So far so good, it worked out and she hasn't really called me for any major computer problems like she did before.

The other day her internet worked sporadically. It would come and go, but everytime I tried to do anything it worked perfectly. Finally I told her, when I was home of course, just take the power cord, unplug it and then plug it back in. Easy job. But she was scared to death to do it. I wasn't able to go over and do it for a couple of days so I asked Jeff to just unplug it and plug it back in and since then, no problems.

I love my mom. She is my best friend, but can be so frustrating. But technology is not her friend at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment