Friday, May 8, 2009

Aches and Pain

Every morning I wake up, or I should say every time I wake up (since I work graveyard shifts), I wake up with aches and pain. Much of my physical pain is due to a bad mattress. I have normal aches and pains, that's another bad effect of being obese. But some days I just wake up and wish I had some pain meds to take away the pain in my back and my knees. Today is one of those days.

I did not want to get up out of bed, but due to the pain I have to get up and moving so the pain can be eased somewhat. I take Doans back pain relief on the days that moving doesn't help or hinders it. If I take 2 or 3 of them, my pain usually goes away for the most part, but then again, I hate taking pills. I already have to take alot of pills because of all my medical problems. Metformin for my metabolic syndrome, cholesterol meds, 2 different meds for my gout, flonase for my allergies, eye drops for my allergies, claritin for my allergies, high dose of vitamin D for bone health and pain, vitamin B-12 for general health, and a few others I can't remember right now. I'm like a walking pharmacy. And lately I've had to take 1600 mg of Ibuprophen to deal with headaches that I have been having. On top of that I have to take metamucil because my colon is "relaxed" and need the extra fiber to push things along. I've been doing all this for several years now.

I also have a major case of sleep apnea. If I don't sleep with it (like for naps or if I fall asleep while watching TV like I did last night), I tend to stop breathing and snore heavily. It's is called my face sucker by my friends and family. I have to be hooked up to this machine every time I go to bed to keep me breathing. It forces air into my nose to keep my airway open. I can't imagine having to sleep without it and it is amazing that I did so for so long. I've had this for about 7 or 8 years now. When I had my initial sleep study I stopped breathing 43 times in an hour's time. I feel better when I have it on, I do sleep better at night and everything, but tend to wake up several times a night when I shift and it shifts off a little, I can tell a difference and I wake up and move it to where it needs to be.

I remember before I had it, I could fall asleep at any time, including mid-sentance, wake up 30 to 45 seconds later and continue where I left off. People used to think it was quite interesting. I thought for a while I had narcolepsy and was afraid of driving great distances. I had fallen asleep at the wheel a couple of times, luckily never caused an accident, but it scared me enough. Part of the reason why I stayed smoking as long as I had. Give me something to keep awake and the fresh air did me good. My family hates to ride w/ me because I tend to, even now, keep the window down a little bit to let air in and to keep my mind occupied by the noise from the window.

I have been told by several people that I'm an inspiration to them because of these posts. I have never imagined myself as a "blogger" but now I can't stop of thinking of things to say. I never imagined that I can be called an inspiration. I have begun this blog as a way for me to work out my "demons" and begin healing. Obesity is a disease and I wished that insurance companies see it that way, just like any disease. I know what caused my obesity and that obesity has complicated my life even more. It really hinders what I can do. I can't go out and throw the ball with my kids, I can't walk down long roads, I can't go hiking like I loved to do when I was in boy scouts. My kids are suffering because of that.

I have to schedule events around what I feel I can do that day. When I feel I can do certain things, like a slow walk down a path, I have to stop every so often to catch my breath. My favorite places I can't really do anything because it takes hiking. Capital Reef I love to go there. For #1 my family settled the area and #2 I love to hike the trails. The last 2 times we were there I stayed in the suburban while the kids and Heather went and walked the trails. This year will be the last I do that. Next year when we go down, I will hike the trails and have fun with my family doing it. I don't want my weight to be a crutch in my life and I definately don't want it to be a crutch in their life any longer.

We will be going to Wayne County in 2 weeks and I can't wait. I plan on doing a couple of easy hikes but nothing like I used to do. I plan on doing the small hike to Chimney Rock and part of the Grand Wash where all the signatures are. Those 2 I try to do every time we go down there. They are easy and I can get some exercise while I'm doing it. I will have the rest of my family there with me as well as my best friend Jeff and his family. It should be a fun weekend getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment