Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Dream Dream







Last night I had a dream about Uncle Byron. Uncle Byron was someone I looked up to very much. He was an awesome guy. He was one of those guys who would give the shirt off of his back if he knew it would help you and protect you. He is the one that I learned from. He was an awesome person. He cared about his family more than anyone else I knew.

Uncle Byron looked and idolized Willie Nelson. He was in several bands through out his life. He played and sang mostly country songs but was one that he could do what ever he wanted. He didn't ever have a lot of money or worldly possessions but he had a spirit about him, everyone that he met, always ended up being a friend. He had friends and acquaintances all over the nation. I've had the opportunity to be with him many times on trips and coast to coast excursions. It seems like there wasn't a place we went to that he didn't know someone or met someone who knew him. Mainly through his musical abilities, but mainly just because he was just him.
Last nights dream was a simple dream, in comparison to my dreams. He was at our new place, came in to see it, brought me 2 boxes of stuff I don't know what was in those boxes, it didn't get that far in the dream. I seen him and ran into his arms and got the biggest hug from him I had ever received. It felt so real. I still feel his arms around me. It was that real of a dream. He still had his long hair, in a braided pony tail. Had his brown plaid western shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a old ratty pair of denim jeans and his cowboy boots. All he said and had to say was, "Hi Richie, I've missed you". I cried on his shoulder and after about 45 seconds of us holding each other, I woke up. Wishing I could get back to the dream I went right back to bed, but was unable to get back to the dream.

I miss him terribly. Next to grandma Maxfield, he is the one that I miss the most. He died while living and working in Reno, Nevada. He was living with his sister in a camp trailer in their driveway. He passed away April 15th, 1996. Aunt Uvonne found him when she went out to ask him if he wanted something for breakfast. She found him sitting on the floor of the trailer propped up against the ice box. He was so strong and was the world to me.


He was not one that lived the way he should of. He lived the rock and roll lifestyle and lived his life accordingly. He smoke, he drank and sometimes I found out he did other things. This did not ever take away the way I looked at him or seen it as a problem because he never shunned any of us family and was very loving towards me. I didn't know any of this stuff until his passing. He and the family kept it hidden from me for a long time. I guess they were worried that I might of followed him in all his life.
When we was married, Uncle Byron was into etching on glass. He etched us 2 wine flutes for our reception. It was a simple design, 2 wedding bells and a dove, but it was very awesome to have him do this for us. Although 1 of the glass handle broke, we still have both pieces. One of the few things I have that was his. The other thing is a 1964 Fender Mustang Guitar. He hawked it shortly before his death and I purchased it from the pawn shop. It is my most prized possession. I will never sell that guitar or get rid of it. It will be with me as long as I live. Just like all the memories I have of him. He was my uncle, my confidante and my best friend. I miss you!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment