Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Going "Back Home"

I am very excited to be going back home in 2 days. Back home meaning Wayne County, southern Utah. Wayne County means so much to me personally and with the family. Our family was called and set apart to settle the area by Brigham Young. And majority of the area is still part of the family. My family is burried there, meaning grandma, granddad, Uncle Byron and we even have our plots there.

Wayne County is such a magical place. The red rocks, the water, the people, all are absolutely beautiful. Small towns replace the big cities, things almost runs backwards there. Everything is closed by 6 pm. Couple movie theaters in all the communities. Everyone knows your name.

I remember one time when I was a teenager, we were down there for memorial day and was going to come home, when we went to the little store across the street from the hotel we always stayed at, the Hell's Angels motorcycle club rolled into town. My dad was on the police force here in Tooele, but had no jurisdiction in Wayne County, but the sheriff's dept knew we were in town and had one of the deputies talk to dad to ask us to hang around, just in case. My dad always carried his trusty 357 duty revolver with him where ever we went, when I seen him move it from the back of the truck to under the front seat, I knew something may go down. Luckily nothing happened and the Hell's Angels left the area.

I remember one time, Jeff went to Wayne County with us when we was in school. He got in trouble by mom when he climbed on this cabin in Capital Reef. One of the times he got the count from my mom. I think he even got the look so he got a double wammy.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny about the look from mom...how neat to know that history about your family!!

    ReplyDelete